Backbone Media B2B Marketing Blog
How to Build B2B Company Thought Leadership
Thought Leadership is one of those buzzwords making the rounds of B2B organizations today. People talk about “being” a thought leader, and wanting to do “thought leadership marketing”, but what does that really mean?
We recently talked to Paul Dunay, a Financial Services Marketing Leader for PwC, about this very thing in an upcoming B2B Podcast. Here is a sample of what he had to say.
What is B2B Thought Leadership?
At its core, Thought Leadership (TL) is a marketing practice that helps you start a conversation with your prospects. Your organization stops talking at them and starts talking with them through a single person, usually an executive, but not always.
What Can It Do For Me?
You do this by producing engaging content on topics related to your market and products, but that aren’t actually about your products. You’re simply talking, not selling. When done right, thought leadership can help you:
- Connect with your prospects and build your pipeline.
- Increase your odds of winning prospects and increase your bookings.
- A thought leader can typically gets higher prices per engagement, and thereby increasing margins
- Create upsell opportunities with existing customers, and increase your overall revenues.
How to Be Successful as a Thought Leader
- Talk to your audience, don’t sell to them. You’re simply trying to demonstrate your knowledge of the topic, showing them you understand the nuances of it.
- By talking about their obstacles and really connecting with them on a personal/human level, you’re implying that you have the solution to the problem, even if you don’t actually state that you do. It’s implicit in your expertise.
- Understand how your TL activities impact your organization, and how it drives revenue for it. You don’t want to be creating content for creation’s sake. Create it for a purpose.
- Subscribe to our blog for more on Thought Leadership from Paul and our other B2B marketing pros.
- Contact us to learn more about how we can help your company with content marketing, website design & development, search engine marketing, and corporate branding.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!