Backbone Media B2B Marketing Blog
Thought Leadership is one of those buzzwords making the rounds of B2B organizations today. People talk about “being” a thought leader, and wanting to do “thought leadership marketing”, but what does that really mean?
What is B2B Thought Leadership?
At its core, Thought Leadership (TL) is a marketing practice that helps you start a conversation with your prospects. Your organization stops talking at them and starts talking with them through a single person, usually an executive, but not always.
What Can It Do For Me?
You do this by producing engaging content on topics related to your market and products, but that aren’t actually about your products. You’re simply talking, not selling. When done right, thought leadership can help you:
- Connect with your prospects and build your pipeline.
- Increase your odds of winning prospects and increase your bookings.
- A thought leader can typically gets higher prices per engagement, and thereby increasing margins
- Create upsell opportunities with existing customers, and increase your overall revenues.
How to Be Successful as a Thought Leader
- Talk to your audience, don’t sell to them. You’re simply trying to demonstrate your knowledge of the topic, showing them you understand the nuances of it.
- By talking about their obstacles and really connecting with them on a personal/human level, you’re implying that you have the solution to the problem, even if you don’t actually state that you do. It’s implicit in your expertise.
- Understand how your TL activities impact your organization, and how it drives revenue for it. You don’t want to be creating content for creation’s sake. Create it for a purpose.